Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Damage Control

Something bad happened.

No.

I take that back.

"Something bad" didn't just turn up out of the blue and "happen" to me like I was just some unwitting pawn in this game of lifestyle change.  And saying "something bad happened" is not taking ownership of the situation.

I did something bad.



And now I am paying the price.


So remember last week when I was writing about Thanksgiving and I was saying stuff like "It's a holiday!" and "Lifestyle changes allow wiggle room on holidays!"  and "It's okay to gain a little weight on Thanksgiving....it would be so unfair to do a weigh-in the morning after!"

Well, as it turned out, I did do a weigh-in the morning after.  And much to my (very pleasant) surprise, I didn't gain an ounce.  Nada. Nothing. Not one little tiny bit.

It was as if the gravy and wine and cheese and mashed potatoes and turkey and ham and rolls and whatever else I ate had never even happened.

So what's the problem?

I got cocky. 

 
I figured I was invincible.   If my gym habit and newly revitalized metabolism could handle a Thanksgiving feast then surely it could also handle a lovely little lunch at Chilis....followed by some samples at Costco.....and a little Alfredo for dinner.  I mean, that's like nothing compared to a Thanksgiving feast, right?
 
 
 
Wrong.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.
 
As of Monday morning, the damage from my Thursday-Sunday of cocky gluttony (cottony?) had been done and I stared back at a horrifying 137.0 on the scale.   Oh sure, it's less than 2 pounds gained over a weekend that's known for far worse crimes against waistbands than that, but that's back to being overweight according to the government!!
 

And to make matters worse, I thought Thanksgiving was going to be my holiday-Everest. If that were the case, I could breathe a sigh of relief that the worst is behind me and move forward full steam ahead.  But it turns out that there's NOTHING I have ever faced during this blog that will be more challenging than the two weeks I have ahead of me.

With work functions alone I am looking at lunches at Ruth's Chris, Café Adelaide, La Pavillion (x2), and Broussards.   That doesn't even include anything that friends or family might want to do to celebrate the season.*   

*I'd like to take a moment to apologize for complaining about what might be the biggest first-world problem.  Ever.  And I am grateful to be blessed with a job that comes with perks... .But these events tend to be hosted with prix fixe menus...which means I will be severely limited in my ability to eat well during them. =/

I am officially freaking out.


The rest of this week is dedicated to damage control. Gym. Very light lunches. Predictable--but safe--dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment